Note - in some browsers the appearance of the blog is corrupted. I do not yet know the cause, but hope this issue will be resolved soon!

Thursday 19 July 2012

The first one!

Right, my first blog. And about time.

Let me kick off with a little introduction. I have been living in Brunei for nearly three years now - and in all likelihood will at least stay for two more. The sultanate of Brunei Darussalam is the tiny state wedged between Malaysia on the tropical island of Borneo - not to be confused with middle-eastern Dubai.

Two years ago some friends & colleagues from the Panaga Natural History Society invited me to join on a trip to a longhouse for the "Teraja Survey" (PNHS Teraja survey - pnhs.teraja). My wife had somehow successfully conveyed that the little birdwatching I did in my pre-teens in Holland made me an expert birdwatcher in Borneo. That I couldn't separate a drongo from a trogon really didn't matter.

The bug did hit again though that weekend and I found myself going into the jungle more and more often on the early weekend morning's. Clearly my childhood interest never really went away.

The intent of this blog is to share some of the natural beauty that surrounds us, though occasionally I may stray from this self-set goal and share parts of my other immediate surroundings that I find fascinating.

One of my main interests is in bird photography and the bulk of the blog will consist of, you guessed it, pictures of birds and some accompanying text.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Folkert, 19/07/12

No comments:

Post a Comment